Tuesday 22 October 2013

I was wrong!

I have just come home from my appointment with Dr. Mishaeli, my oncologist. I am pleasantly surprised by what he said, and it has changed my mind about check ups.
Apparently, the quite new practice of operating on liver tumours has changed the outlook for recurrent cancer survivors. If liver metastases are caught early many CAN now be removed; the five year survival figures haven't yet had time to reflect this. This means it is worth doing check ups, at least cancer markers and abdominal CT, these being the best way to discover liver metastases.  I scurried home and started checking whether I can do these tests in Thailand, Taiwan and so on; yes you can! So it seems that that is what we will do. The other good piece of news is that I can do the colonoscopy before we leave, it is long enough after the operation. If that is ok I don't need another one for five years, yay! And I got Dr. Mishaeli's email, so I can always ask him if I'm not sure about anything.
All in all it was well worth going to talk to him. Tomorrow Prof. Shpitz!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy to read this. happy for you, for me, for all of us. I'll try to remember this when I go to my next CT scan. (I owe you an email) xoxo

    ReplyDelete